Saturday, February 25, 2006


I'm bored so I thought I would try Blogging. What do I write about? Anything? Everything? Let me try a picture. Here's one...Oh, that's right, I'm taking care of Mr. B. He's not feeling too well these days. He has an insidious disease called Lewy Body Dementia. A lot of doctors don't even know what this disease is yet and they certainly don't know how to treat it, so I told Mr. B he could tell me how he feels and I would write about what we did to make him feel better, and the mistakes that were unforgiveably made, and maybe someday some genious doctor would put it all together and help others who most likely will be mis-diagnosed, like he was. I told him I would dedicate my writings to him and he would not have suffered in vain. He smiled.

Today, like we have been going through for the past few months, Mr. B was settling into his coma-type phase again, so instead of calling the mortuary this time I was calm and held his hand and talked to him about what a lovely day it was going to be. The sun was shining and it would be a wonderful day to take a ride up the Coast in the convertible. All he has to do is open his eyes, have some breakfast to get his strength up, and we would try to get him into the car. Doesn't look like that's going to happen so I gave him a kiss on the cheek and told him I would check on him in an hour to see if he changed his mind.

He didn't change his mind and it was still a beautiful day so I decided to take that drive by myself while Dave watched Mr. B talk to someone, obviously important and interesting, in his coma-sleep.

I backed the car out of the garage. While the door was closing I pushed the button for the convertible top to neatly fold into its clever compartment at the rear of the car and felt the freedom that was soon to be mine. The air was crisp and clean and cold on my face, as I am used to the stale pallor of indoors, living with a dying man and all, so I turned on the ingenious seat heater and started up the coast hiway for the first outing I have had since Christmas. I could see the horizon daring me to wonder which was more blue, the sky or the ocean. Off to the left was a picture perfect outline of Catalina Island. Sorry, couldn't get a good picture because I was driving but here's the quick shot I took.

1 comment:

SRayz said...

I'm glad you wrote this - has a good feel to it in spite of the situation. That's a great shot of Mr. B - he looks like a kind soul. I'm glad your ordeal, and his, are over now. We're still going through it here, as you know.